Topics in Privacy and Security Module Result – 77%
Last week was a hectic one. I had a coursework deadline for my Adaptive Learning Agent Systems module, and a exam for Static Analysis and Verification. Amongst all the work I received my results for my Topics in Privacy and Security Module.
The module was assessed by a 100% weighted coursework for which the aim was to develop both a security risk management strategy for a telehealth company and develop some software to determine the best reputation metric for a star-rating system for e-commerce websites to reduce the effect of self-promoting and slandering attacks at different scales.
For the security risk management strategy the ISO/IEC 27002 and ISO/IEC 27005 standards were followed. Assets, user roles, system boundaries and businesses processes were identified, possible violations were considered, threat agents and paths were analysed and critical analysis of which risks had to be managed and which controls to use to mitigate their risks took place.
I used the programming portion of the coursework as an opportunity to learn cross-platform GUI development in Java, using JavaFX. As of the time of writing JavaFX still doesn’t support simple dialog boxes without a host of libraries… which made it interesting. However, it was quite impressive to see ‘write once (carefully), run anywhere (conditionally)’ work in action. I also used it as a chance to try out a form of more modular development, in which all of my business logic was in a library which any GUI could tap into, whether that be a Java Servlet, JavaFX or Command Line program. For the coursework I developed both the aforementioned GUI and a simple Terminal Interface, both running on the same shared .jar library.
Thankfully, now that this week is over, so is the taught portion of my masters degree. For the next 4 months I will be working on my research project, which will be discussed in a future blog post.